Skip to content

Previous Newsletters

Miss last month's newsletter? No problem. I keep the last 6 months of newsletters here for you to read.

May 2021

Feature Articles

Tax Tips

Email Updates
Enter your email below
to subscribe to our
monthly newsletter.

Any accounting, business or tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended as a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues, nor a substitute for a formal opinion, nor is it sufficient to avoid tax-related penalties. If desired, we would be pleased to perform the requisite research and provide you with a detailed written analysis. Such an engagement may be the subject of a separate engagement letter that would define the scope and limits of the desired consultation services.

Tax Return Tips for Last-Minute Filers

When it comes to working on your taxes, earlier is better, but many people find preparing their tax return to be stressful and frustrating and wait until the last minute. Complicating matters this year is tax reform and the newly redesigned Form 1040. If you've been procrastinating on filing your tax return this year, here are eight tips that might help.

Don't Delay

Resist the temptation to put off your taxes until the very last minute. Your haste to meet the filing deadline may cause you to overlook potential sources of tax savings and will likely increase your risk of making an error. Getting a head start - even if it is a week or two) will not only keep the process calm but also mean you get your return faster by avoiding the last-minute rush.

Gather Tax Documents in Advance

Make sure you have all the records you need, including W-2s and 1099s. Don't forget to save a copy for your files.

Double-check Math and Verify Social Security Numbers

These are among the most common errors found on tax returns. Taking care will reduce your chance of hearing from the IRS. Submitting an error-free return will also speed up your tax refund.

E-file for a Faster Tax Refund

Taxpayers who e-file and choose direct deposit for their refunds, for example, will get their refunds in as few as ten days. That compares to approximately six weeks for people who file a paper return and get a traditional paper check.

Don't Panic if You Can't Pay

If you can't immediately pay the taxes you owe, consider some stress-reducing alternatives. You can apply for an IRS installment agreement, suggesting your monthly payment amount and due date and getting a reduced late payment penalty rate. You also have various options for charging your balance on a credit card. There is no IRS fee for credit card payments, but the processing companies charge a convenience fee. Electronic filers with a balance due can file early and authorize the government's financial agent to take the money directly from their checking or savings account on the April due date, with no fee.

Request an Extension of Time to File

If the clock runs out, you can get an automatic six-month extension bringing the filing date to October 15, 2021 - but make sure you pay by the May 17 due date. However, the extension itself does not give you more time to pay any taxes due. You will owe interest on any amount not paid by the April deadline, plus a late payment penalty if you have not paid at least 90 percent of your total tax by that date.

Taxpayers Outside the United States File June 15

U.S. citizens and resident aliens who live and work outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico have until June 15, 2021, to file their 2020 tax returns and pay any tax due. The special June 15 deadline also applies to military members on duty outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico who do not qualify for the longer combat zone extension. Affected taxpayers should attach a statement to their return explaining which of these situations apply. Although taxpayers abroad get more time to pay, interest - currently at the rate of 3% per year, compounded daily - applies to any payment received after this year's May 17 deadline.

Military Service Members Serving in a Combat Zone

Combat zone taxpayers (including eligible support personnel) have at least 180 days after they leave the combat zone to file their tax returns and pay any tax due - including those serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other combat zones. A complete list of designated combat zone localities is available on the IRS website. Combat zone extensions also give affected taxpayers more time for a variety of other tax-related actions, including contributing to an IRA. Various circumstances affect the exact length of the extension available to taxpayers.

Help is Just a Phone Call Away

If you run into any problems, have any questions, or need to file an extension, contact the office today.

Go to top

Tax Withholding for Seasonal and Part-Time Employees

Many businesses hire part-time or full-time workers, especially in the summer. The IRS classifies these employees as seasonal workers, defined as an employee who performs labor or services on a seasonal basis (i.e., six months or less). Examples of this kind of work include retail workers employed exclusively during holiday seasons, sports events, or during the harvest or commercial fishing season. Part-time and seasonal employees are subject to the same tax withholding rules that apply to other employees.

All taxpayers fill out a W-4 when starting a new job. Employers use this form to determine the amount of tax to be withheld from your paycheck. Taxpayers (including students) with multiple summer jobs will want to make sure all their employers withhold an adequate amount of taxes to cover their total income tax liability.

Changes to Withholding under Tax Reform

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act made changes to the tax law starting in 2018, including increasing the standard deduction, eliminating personal exemptions, increasing the child tax credit, limiting or discontinuing certain deductions, and changing the tax rates and brackets. Some taxpayers, such as those who are returning to the workforce, work part-time, or have seasonal jobs, may not be aware of the changes in tax law that could affect their paycheck.

Any changes a part-year employee makes to their withholding amount have a more significant impact on their paycheck than for employees who work year-round. As such, now is an excellent time to perform a "paycheck check-up" using the Withholding Calculator, a special tool on the IRS website that can help taxpayers with part-year employment estimate their income, credits, adjustments, and deductions more accurately. It also checks to see whether a taxpayer is having the correct amount of tax withheld for their financial situation.

Using the Withholding Calculator

  • First, the calculator asks about the dates of a taxpayer's employment and accounts for a part-year employee's shorter employment rather than assuming that their weekly tax withholding amount would be applied to a full year.
  • Next, the calculator makes recommendations for part-year employees accordingly. If a taxpayer has more than one part-year job, the Withholding Calculator can account for this as well.

Taxpayers should have a completed prior-year tax return available and will also need their most recent pay stub before using the Withholding Calculator.

Calculator results depend on the accuracy of information entered. If a taxpayer's circumstances change during the year, they should return to the calculator to check whether they should adjust their withholding. For taxpayers who work for only part of the year, it's best to do a "paycheck check-up" early in their employment period, so their tax withholding is most accurate from the start.

The Withholding Calculator does not request personally identifiable information, such as name, Social Security number, address, or bank account numbers. The IRS does not save or record the information entered on the calculator. As always, taxpayers should watch out for tax scams, especially via email or phone, and be especially alert to cybercriminals impersonating the IRS. Remember, the IRS does not send emails related to the calculator or the information entered.

If you Need to Adjust your Withholding

If the calculator results indicate a change in withholding amount, the employee should complete a new Form W-4 and should submit it to their employer as soon as possible. Employees with a change in personal circumstances that reduces the number of withholding allowances should submit a new Form W-4 with corrected withholding allowances to their employer within ten days of the change.

As a seasonal or part-time worker, you may not be required to file a federal or state return if the wages you earn at a part-time or seasonal job are less than the standard deduction; however, if you work more than one job, you may end up owing tax.

As you can see, seasonal and part-time workers have unique tax situations. If you have any questions about your tax situation, don't hesitate to call the office today.

Go to top

Saving for Education: Understanding 529 Plans

Many parents are looking for ways to save for their child's education, and a 529 Plan is an excellent way to do so. Even better is that thanks to the passage of tax reform legislation in 2017, 529 plans are now available to parents wishing to save for their child's K-12 education as well as college (two and four-year programs) or vocational school.

The SECURE Act expanded the 529 Plan to include fees, books, supplies, and equipment for apprenticeship programs and repayment of principal and interest on student loan debt for the designated beneficiary or the beneficiary's sibling, up to a lifetime limit of $10,000.

You may open a Section 529 plan in any state, and there are no income restrictions for the individual opening the account. Contributions, however, must be in cash, and the total amount must not be more than is reasonably needed for higher education (as determined initially by the state). A minimum investment may be required to open the account, such as $25 or $50.

Each 529 Plan has a Designated Beneficiary (the future student) and an Account Owner. The account owner may be a parent or another person and typically is the principal contributor to the program. The account owner is also entitled to choose (as well as change) the designated beneficiary.

Neither the account owner nor beneficiary may direct investments. Still, the state may allow the owner to select a type of investment fund (e.g., fixed income securities), change the investment annually as well as when the beneficiary is changed. The account owner decides who gets the funds (can pick and change the beneficiary) and is legally allowed to withdraw funds at any time, subject to tax and penalties (more about this below).

Unlike some of the other tax-favored higher education programs such as the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits, federal tax law doesn't limit the benefit only to tuition. Room, board, lab fees, books, and supplies can be purchased with funds from your 529 Savings Account as well. However, individual state programs could have a more narrow definition, so be sure to check with your particular state.

Tax-free Distributions

Distributions from 529 plans are tax-free as long as they are used to pay qualified higher-education expenses for a designated beneficiary. Distributions are tax-free even if the student is claiming the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, or tax-free treatment for a Section 530 Coverdell distribution--provided the programs aren't covering the same specific expenses. Qualified expenses include tuition, required fees, books, supplies, equipment, and special needs services. For someone who is at least a half-time student, room and board also qualify. Also, starting in 2018, "qualified higher education expenses" include up to $10,000 in annual expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private, or religious school.

Qualified expenses also include computers and related equipment used by a student while enrolled at an eligible educational institution; however, software designed for sports, games, or hobbies does not qualify unless it is predominantly educational in nature.

Federal Tax Rules

Income Tax. Contributions made by the account owner or other contributor are not deductible for federal income tax purposes, but many states offer deductions or credits. Earnings on contributions grow tax-free while in the program. Distribution for a purpose other than qualified education is taxed to the one receiving the distribution. In addition, the taxable portion of the distribution will incur a 10 percent penalty, comparable to the 10 percent penalty in Section 530 Coverdell plans. Also, the account owner may change the beneficiary designation from one to another in the same family. Funds in the account roll over tax-free for the benefit of the new beneficiary.

Gift Tax. For gift tax purposes, contributions are treated as completed gifts even though the account owner has the right to withdraw them - thus, they qualify for the up-to-$15,000 annual gift tax exclusion. One contributing more than $15,000 may elect to treat the gift as made in equal installments over that year and the following four years so that up to $75,000 can be given tax-free in the first year.

Estate Tax. Funds in the account at the designated beneficiary's death are included in the beneficiary's estate - another odd result since those funds may not be available to pay the tax. Funds in the account at the account owner's death are not included in the owner's estate, except for a portion where the gift tax exclusion installment election is made for gifts over $15,000. Here is an example: if the account owner made the election for a gift of $75,000 in 2019, a part of that gift is included in the estate if he or she dies within five years.

A Section 529 program can be an especially attractive estate-planning move for grandparents. There are no income limits, and the account owner giving up to $75,000 avoids gift tax and estate tax by living five years after the gift, yet has the power to change the beneficiary.

State Tax. State tax rules are all over the map. Some reflect the federal rules, some quite different rules. For specifics of each state's program, see:

Seek Professional Guidance First

Considering the differences among state plans, the complexity of federal and state tax laws, and the dollar amounts at stake, please call the office and speak to a tax and accounting professional before opening a 529 plan.

Go to top

Avoiding Tax Surprises When Retiring Overseas

Are you approaching retirement age and wondering where you can retire to make your retirement nest egg last longer? Retiring abroad may be the answer. But first, it's important to look at the tax implications because not all retirement country destinations are created equal.

Taxes on Worldwide Income

Leaving the United States does not exempt U.S. citizens from their U.S. tax obligations. While some retirees may not owe any U.S. income tax while living abroad, they must still file a return annually with the IRS even if they transferred all of their assets to a foreign country. The bottom line is that you may still be taxed on income regardless of where it is earned.

Unlike most countries, the United States taxes individuals based on citizenship and not residency. As such, every U.S. citizen (and resident alien) must file a tax return reporting worldwide income (including income from foreign trusts and foreign bank and securities accounts) in any given taxable year that exceeds threshold limits for filing.

The filing requirement generally applies even if a taxpayer qualifies for tax benefits, such as the foreign earned income exclusion or the foreign tax credit, that substantially reduce or eliminate U.S. tax liability.

These tax benefits are not automatic and are only available if an eligible taxpayer files a U.S. income tax return.

Any income received or deductible expenses paid in foreign currency must be reported on a U.S. return in U.S. dollars. Likewise, any tax payments must be made in U.S. dollars.

If you decide to start a side business while in retirement and are self-employed, you may claim the foreign earned income exclusion on foreign earned self-employment income. However, the excluded amount will reduce your regular income tax but will not reduce your self-employment tax. You must pay self-employment tax on all your net profit, including any amount excluded from income.

In addition, taxpayers who are retired may have to file tax forms in the foreign country in which they reside. You may, however, be able to take a tax credit or a deduction for income taxes you paid to a foreign country. These benefits can reduce your taxes if both countries tax the same income.

Nonresident aliens who receive income from U.S. sources must determine whether they have a U.S. tax obligation. The filing deadline for nonresident aliens is generally April 15 (e.g., April 15, 2021.

FBAR Reporting

U.S. persons who own a foreign bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, unit trust, or another financial account are required to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) by April 15 if they have:

  • Financial interest in, signature authority or other authority over one or more accounts in a foreign country, and
  • The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year.

A foreign country does not include territories and possessions of the United States such as Puerto Rico, Guam, United States Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands.

Income from Social Security or Pensions

If Social Security is your only income, then your benefits may not be taxable, and you may not need to file a federal income tax return. If you receive Social Security, you should receive a Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, showing the amount of your benefits. Likewise, if you have pension or annuity income, you should receive a Form 1099-R for each distribution plan.

Retirement income is generally not taxed by other countries. As a U.S. citizen retiring abroad who receives Social Security, for instance, you may owe U.S. taxes on that income but may not be liable for tax in the country where you're spending your retirement years.

However, if you receive income from other sources (either U.S. or country of retirement) as well, from a part-time job or self-employment, for example, you may have to pay U.S. taxes on some of your benefits. You may also be required to report and pay taxes on any income earned in the country where you retired.

Each country is different, so consult a local tax professional or one who specializes in expat tax services.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

If you've retired overseas but work at a full or part-time job or earn income from self-employment, the IRS allows qualifying individuals to exclude all, or part, of their incomes from U.S. income tax by using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE). In 2021, this amount is $108,700. If you qualify for the exclusion, you won't pay tax on up to $108,700 of your wages, and other foreign earned income in 2021.

Income earned overseas is exempt from taxation only if certain criteria are met such as residing outside of the country for at least 330 days over a 12-month period, or an entire calendar year.

Tax Treaties

The United States has income tax treaties with many foreign countries, but these treaties generally don't exempt residents from their obligation to file a tax return.

Under these treaties, residents (not necessarily citizens) of foreign countries are taxed at a reduced rate or are exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States. These reduced rates and exemptions vary among countries and specific items of income.

Treaty provisions are generally reciprocal; that is, they apply to both treaty countries. Therefore, a U.S. citizen or resident who receives income from a treaty country and subject to taxes imposed by foreign countries may be entitled to certain credits, deductions, exemptions, and reductions in the rate of taxes of those foreign countries.

Affordable Care Act

Starting in 2014, the individual shared responsibility provision calls for each individual to have minimum essential coverage for each month, qualify for an exemption, or make a payment when filing his or her federal income tax return. Under tax reform, the penalty for the individual mandate was eliminated starting January 1, 2019.

U.S. citizens or residents living abroad for at least 330 days within 12 months are treated as having minimum essential coverage during those 12 months and thus will not owe a shared responsibility payment for any of those 12 months. Also, U.S. citizens who qualify as a bona fide resident of a foreign country for an entire taxable year are treated as having minimum essential coverage for that year.

State Taxes

Many states tax resident income as well, so even if you retire abroad, you may still owe state taxes--unless you established residency in a no-tax state before you moved overseas.

Some states honor the provisions of U.S. tax treaties; however, some states do not. Therefore it is prudent to consult a tax professional.

Relinquishing U.S. Citizenship

Taxpayers who relinquish their U.S. citizenship or cease to be lawful permanent residents of the United States during any tax year must file a dual-status alien return and attach Form 8854, Initial and Annual Expatriation Statement. A copy of Form 8854 must also be filed with Internal Revenue Service (Philadelphia, PA 19255-0049) by the tax return's due date (including extensions).

Giving up your U.S. citizenship doesn't mean giving up your right to receive social security, pensions, annuities, or other retirement income. However, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code (IRC) requires the Social Security Administration (SSA) to withhold nonresident alien tax from certain Social Security monthly benefits. Suppose you are a nonresident alien receiving social security retirement income. In that case, SSA will withhold a 30 percent flat tax from 85 percent of those benefits unless you qualify for a tax treaty benefit, in which case 25.5 percent of your monthly benefit amount is withheld.

Consult a Tax Professional Before You Retire

Don't wait until you're ready to retire to consult a tax professional. Call the office today and find out what your options are well in advance of your planned retirement date.

Go to top

Deducting Business-Related Car Expenses

If you're self-employed and use your car for business, you can deduct certain business-related car expenses. There are two options for claiming deductions:

Actual Expenses. To use the actual expense method, you need to figure out the actual costs of operating the car for business use. You are allowed to deduct the business-related portion of costs related to gas, oil, repairs, tires, insurance, registration fees, licenses, and depreciation (or lease payments).

Standard Mileage Rate. To use the standard mileage deduction, multiply 56 cents (in 2021) by the number of business miles traveled during the year.

Deduct car expenses such as parking fees and tolls attributable to business use separately no matter which method you choose.

Which Method Is Better?

For some taxpayers, using the standard mileage rate produces a larger deduction. Others fare better tax-wise by deducting actual expenses. You may use either of these methods whether you own or lease your car.

To use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. In subsequent years, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses. If you choose the standard mileage rate and lease a car for business use, you must use the standard mileage rate method for the entire lease period - including renewals.

Opting for the standard mileage rate method allows you to bypass certain limits and restrictions and is simpler; however, it's often less advantageous in dollar terms. Generally, the standard mileage method benefits taxpayers who have less expensive cars or travel many business miles.

The standard mileage rate may understate your costs, especially if you use the car 100 percent (or close to it) for business.


Tax law requires that you keep travel expense records and that you show business versus personal use on your tax return. Furthermore, if you don't keep track of the number of miles driven and the total amount you spent on the car, your tax advisor won't be able to determine which of the two options is more advantageous for you at tax time. It is essential to keep careful records of your travel expenses (if you use the actual expenses method, you must keep receipts) and record your mileage.

You can use a mileage logbook or, if you're tech-savvy, an app on your phone or tablet. Several phone applications (apps) are available to help you track your business expenses, including mileage and billable time. These apps also allow you to create formatted reports that are easy to share with your CPA, EA, or tax preparer.

To simplify your recordkeeping, consider using a separate credit card for business.


Don't hesitate to call and find out which deduction method is best for your particular tax situation.

Go to top

File on Time - Even if You Can't Pay

Generally, taxpayers should file their tax returns by the deadline even if they cannot pay the full amount due, but if you can't, there are several options. Let's take a look at a few scenarios:

1. An individual taxpayer owes taxes, but can't pay in full by the deadline. If this is the case, file a tax return or request an extension of time to file by the May 17 deadline. If tax is owed and a return is not filed on time - or an extension is not requested - the taxpayer may face a failure-to-file penalty for not filing on time.

Taxpayers should remember that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. An extension gives taxpayers until October 15, 2021 to file their 2020 tax return, but taxes owed are still due May 17, 2021.

2. File an extension. To file an extension, taxpayers must do one of the following:

  • File Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time, through their tax professional
  • Submit an electronic payment with Direct Pay, Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or by debit, credit card or digital wallet and select Form 4868 or extension as the payment type.

3. Set up a payment plan as soon as possible. Taxpayers who owe money but cannot pay in full by May 17 don't have to wait for a tax bill to set up a payment plan. Instead, they can:

  • Apply for a payment plan on; or
  • Submit a payment plan request using Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request

4. Pay as much as possible by the May 17 due date. Whether filing a return or requesting an extension, taxpayers must pay their tax bill in full by the May deadline to avoid interest and penalties. People who do not pay their taxes on time will face a failure-to-pay penalty. The IRS has options for taxpayers who can't afford to pay taxes they owe.

Don't wait. If you need assistance filing a tax return for 2020, please call the office as soon as possible.

Go to top

Common Errors To Avoid When Filing a Tax Return

While not all mistakes on tax returns cause delays in refunds, some do. As the May 17 deadline approaches, it pays to steer clear of the ten tax return errors listed below.

1. Not using electronic filing. While this isn't necessarily a mistake per se, electronic filing is the best way to cut the chances for many tax return mistakes while maximizing deductions to reduce the amount of tax owed. The reason for this is that the tax software your tax professional uses automatically applies the latest tax laws, checks for available credits or deductions, does the calculations, and asks taxpayers for all required information.

2. Failing to report all taxable income. Be sure to have income documents on hand before starting the tax return. Examples are Forms W-2, 1099-MISC, or 1099-NEC. Underreporting income may lead to penalties and interest.

3. Using Incorrect names and Social Security numbers. Enter each Social Security number (SSN) and individual's name on a tax return exactly as printed on the Social Security card. Persons generally must list the SSN of any person they claim as a dependent on their individual income tax return. If a dependent or spouse does not have and is not eligible to get an SSN, list the Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) instead of an SSN.

4. Not using the correct filing status. If taxpayers are unsure about their filing status, the Interactive Tax Assistant on can help them choose the correct status, especially if more than one filing status applies. Tax software, including IRS Free File, also helps prevent mistakes with filing status.

5. Forgetting to answer the virtual currency question. The 2020 Form 1040 asks whether at any time during 2020, a person received, sold, sent, exchanged, or otherwise acquired any financial interest in any virtual currency. If a taxpayer's only transactions involving virtual currency during 2020 were purchases of virtual currency, they are not required to answer "yes" to the question.

6. Mailing paper returns to the right address. Paper filers should check the right address for where to file on or on the form instructions to avoid processing delays. Note that due to staffing issues related to COVID-19, processing paper tax returns could take much longer than usual. Taxpayers and tax professionals are encouraged to file electronically if possible.

7. Not using the correct routing and account numbers. Requesting direct deposit of a federal refund into one, two, or even three accounts is convenient and allows the taxpayer access to his or her money faster. Make sure the financial institution routing and account numbers entered on the return are accurate. Incorrect numbers can cause a refund to be delayed or deposited into the wrong account. Taxpayers can also use their refund to purchase U.S. Savings Bonds.

8. Forgetting to sign and date the return. If filing a joint return, both spouses must sign and date the return. E-filers can sign using a self-selected personal identification number (PIN).

9. Failing to keep a copy of your return. When ready to file, taxpayers should make a copy of their signed returns and all schedules for their records.

10. Not requesting an extension, if needed. Taxpayers who cannot meet the May 17 deadline can easily request an automatic filing extension to October 15 and prevent late filing penalties. Keep in mind that while an extension grants additional time to file, tax payments are still due May 17.

Go to top

Refunds for Nontaxable Unemployment Compensation

The IRS is automatically refunding money to eligible people who filed their tax returns reporting unemployment compensation before the recent changes made by the American Rescue Plan.


Typically, when an individual receives unemployment compensation, it is taxable. However, under a recent law change (American Rescue Plan), taxpayers who earned less than $150,000 in modified adjusted gross income can exclude some unemployment compensation from their income, which means they don't have to pay tax on some of it.

People who are married and filing joint returns can exclude up to $20,400 – up to $10,200 for each spouse who received unemployment compensation. All other eligible taxpayers can exclude up to $10,200 from their income.

This law change occurred after some people filed their 2020 taxes. Eligible taxpayers who filed and figured their 2020 tax based on the full amount of unemployment compensation will automatically receive a refund. The IRS expects to begin issuing these refunds in May.

What You Need to Do

There is no need to do anything. The IRS will determine the correct taxable amount of unemployment compensation. Any resulting overpayment of tax will be either refunded or applied to other taxes owed.

The recalculations will take place in two phases:

  • First, taxpayers who are eligible to exclude up to $10,200.
  • Second, those married filing jointly who are eligible to exclude up to $20,400, and others with more complex returns.

When to File an Amended Return

Taxpayers only need to file an amended return if the recalculations make them newly eligible for additional federal tax credits or deductions not already included on their original tax return. For example, the IRS can adjust returns for taxpayers who claimed the earned income tax credit and, because the exclusion changed their income level, may now be eligible for an increase in the EITC amount.

However, taxpayers would have to file an amended return if they did not originally claim the EITC or other credits but are now eligible to claim them following the change in the tax law. If they now qualify for these credits, they should consider filing an amended return to claim this money. These taxpayers may want to review their state tax returns as well.

Taxpayers who haven't yet filed and choose to file electronically simply need to respond to the related questions when preparing their tax returns. For those who choose to file a paper return, instructions and an updated worksheet about the exclusion are also available.

Don't hesitate to contact the office with questions. As always, help is just a phone call away.

Go to top

Recovery Rebate Credit May Be Different Than Expected

Some taxpayers who claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on their 2020 tax returns are discovering that they may be getting a different amount than they expected. Let's take a closer look at why this is happening.

The first and second Economic Impact Payments (EIP) were advance payments of the 2020 credit. Most eligible taxpayers already received the first and second payments and shouldn't (and don't need to) include this information on their 2020 tax return. However, those who didn't receive a first or second EIP or received less than the full amounts may be eligible for the 2020 RRC. However, to claim the credit, they must file a 2020 tax return - even if they don't usually file a tax return.

How the Rebate Recover Credit Works

When it processes a 2020 tax return claiming the credit, the IRS determines the eligibility and amount of the taxpayer's credit based on the 2020 tax return information and the amounts of any EIP previously issued. If a taxpayer is eligible, the credit is reduced by the amount of any EIPs already issued to them.

  • If there is a mistake with the credit amount (Line 30 of the 1040 or 1040-SR), the IRS will calculate the correct amount, make the correction and continue processing the return.
  • If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing the return, and the IRS will send the taxpayer a letter or notice explaining any change.

Taxpayers who receive a notice saying the IRS changed the amount of their 2020 credit should read the notice and review their 2020 tax return. Taxpayers who disagree with the IRS calculation should review their letter as well as the questions and answers for what information they should have available when contacting the IRS.

Common reasons that the IRS corrected the credit are as follows:

  • The individual was claimed as a dependent on another person's 2020 tax return.
  • The individual did not provide a Social Security number valid for employment.
  • The qualifying child was age 17 or older on January 1, 2020.
  • Math errors relating to calculating adjusted gross income and any EIPs already received.

Don't hesitate to call if you have any questions about this topic.

Go to top

Deductions for Food or Beverages From Restaurants

Beginning January 1, 2021, and extending through December 31, 2022, businesses can claim 100% of their food or beverage expenses paid to restaurants as long as the business owner (or an employee of the business) is present when food or beverages are provided, and the expense is not lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.

In most tax years, there is a 50% limit on the amount that businesses may deduct for food or beverages. The temporary exception was included in the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Relief Act of 2020, part of a series of tax laws intended to provide coronavirus-related relief.

Where can businesses get food and beverages and claim 100%?

Under the temporary provision, restaurants include businesses that prepare and sell food or beverages to retail customers for immediate on-premises and/or off-premises consumption. However, restaurants do not include businesses that primarily sell pre-packaged goods, not for immediate consumption, such as grocery stores and convenience stores.

Additionally, an employer may not treat certain employer-operated eating facilities like restaurants, even if a third party operates these facilities under contract with the employer.


For more information about this and other coronavirus-related tax relief for business owners, please contact the office today.

Go to top

Tax Due Dates for May 2021

May 10

Employees who work for tips - If you received $20 or more in tips during April, report them to your employer. You can use Form 4070.

Employers - Social Security, Medicare, and withheld income tax. File Form 941 for the first quarter of 2021. This due date applies only if you deposited the tax for the quarter in full and on time.

May 17

Individuals - File an income tax return for 2020 and pay any tax due. If you want an automatic 6-month extension of time to file the return, file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return or you can get an extension by phone if you pay part or all of your estimate of income tax due with a credit card. Then file Form 1040 by October 15.

Household Employers - If you paid cash wages of $2,200 or more in 2020 to a household employee, file Schedule H (Form 1040) with your income tax return and report any employment taxes. Report any federal unemployment (FUTA) tax on Schedule H if you paid total cash wages of $1,000 or more in any calendar quarter of 2019 or 2020 to household employees. Also, report any income tax you withheld for your household employees.

Employers - Nonpayroll withholding. If the monthly deposit rule applies, deposit the tax for payments in April.

Employers - Social Security, Medicare, and withheld income tax. If the monthly deposit rule applies, deposit the tax for payments in April.

Go to top

Ways to Improve Your Relationship with Money

Money is the bedrock of modern daily life, but for some, thinking about financial matters can be a source of stress or anxiety. For others, money is just something earned and spent without a second thought. Building a relationship with your money is like connecting with people: It takes time and effort to succeed. Learning how to manage your finances may require a little hard work, but the potential returns are well worth it. Here are some tips for improving your relationship with money.

Understand Want vs. Need

Before you make your next purchase, consider if it’s a must-have or maybe something you could live without. Take the ego out of the equation and be honest with yourself. By cutting spending on what you want today, you’ll have more money for the things you need tomorrow. There are a few ways you can separate essential expenses from everything else:

  1. Make a budget: Create a comprehensive weekly or monthly budget and stick to it. Even if you overspend once in a while, a budget provides a concrete goal to work toward.
  2. Watch your spending: Monitor your bank account to ensure you’re spending less than you earn. Compare your bank balance to where it was a month ago to gauge your progress.
  3. Get organized: Put money aside for bills the moment you get paid. After taking care of the essentials, you’ll have a more accurate idea of what’s left for savings or other investments.
  4. Don’t get emotional: Reconsider making any big-ticket purchases or buying anything on impulse. Companies know how to make their products seem irresistible, but try not to let emotions influence your buying decisions.

Seek Clarity & Awareness

Staying in control of your financial situation requires a willingness to confront yourself. Sometimes this can mean accepting an ugly truth or understanding that a spending habit needs to change. It’s also necessary to have the discipline and focus to confront financial obligations head-on without jumping to conclusions. When it comes to developing a better relationship with money, it helps maintain a calm but attentive sense of awareness.

Avoid Money Fog

Don’t let yourself become overwhelmed by your financial situation. Balancing debt, bills, rent, and groceries can be challenging, but slipping into a money fog is not the answer. It’s easy to lose track of where your money is going if you’re not paying attention. For help motivating yourself to remain committed to your financial goals, try out some of these ideas:

  • Focus on paying down your oldest debt first
  • Write down your future financial objectives and how you plan to get there
  • Do a complete review of your finances to put it all in perspective
  • Try a money management app to track your spending habits in real-time
  • Avoid distractions getting between you and financial success

Check Your Attitude

Maintaining an optimistic outlook will help you make better financial decisions. Approach making and spending money with a healthy, positive attitude. Take a deep breath before checking your bank balance and avoid negative, distracting thoughts that could throw you off track. Expecting things to work out well often has unexpected results, but getting angry or frustrated isn’t helpful.


Instead of searching for ways to cut costs, consider exploring new approaches to making extra money. A part-time side gig may provide the income boost you need for more financial flexibility. If you’re on a fixed income, consider putting money aside each month to invest in equities or your rainy day savings. Everyone’s financial goals are different so stay focused on prioritizing what’s most important to you.

Be Open to Advice

Don’t be afraid to ask for support with managing your money. CPAs, financial advisors, and other professionals offer valuable insights that will help guide you in the right direction. You may be eligible for tax deductions or exemptions you didn’t know you could claim. Financial professionals have considerable experience preserving wealth for people, and their advice can put more money back in your pocket.

The post Ways to Improve Your Relationship with Money first appeared on Go to top

Frequently Asked Questions About IRS Business Audits

While only a small percentage of tax returns get audited, it’s a good idea for businesses and self-employed individuals to understand how the process works. During a business audit, the IRS will investigate the validity of your tax return to determine if the information provided is correct or if additional taxes are owed. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding IRS business audits.

How does the IRS select who to audit?

Various “red flags” will make your tax return more likely to be selected for an audit. Computer algorithms assist the IRS in identifying tax returns that have the highest likelihood of containing errors. A tax return is assigned a Discriminant Function System (DIF) score which compares the return to others like it. A return that differs too much from the norm may get flagged for an audit. Additionally, an Unreported Income DIF score helps the IRS find returns that have likely underreported income. Other reasons the IRS may audit a business includes inaccurately claiming deductions, filing tax returns late, or filing an amended return that results in considerable changes to the information initially provided.

How are business audits conducted?

The IRS conducts business audits in one of three ways. The most basic form of audit is a correspondence or mail audit. These audits are done through the mail or over the phone. If certain information is needed that cannot be easily acquired through correspondence, the IRS may request an in-person meeting at a local IRS office. The most rigorous form of audit takes place at an individual’s place of business or home.

What do I need to do to prepare for a business audit?

It’s essential to organize all pertinent documents and financial records ahead of the audit. Collect receipts, income statements, balance sheets, payroll records, and any other information the IRS may request. Having comprehensive records ready for review will make the process go much more quickly. It may also be helpful to employ a tax audit specialist to assist in preparing all the necessary information.

The auditor has determined I owe money to the IRS. What happens now?

If the audit indicates that you owe money to the IRS, you can either pay the total amount at once or request to set up an installment plan. Making late payments will often result in penalties. It’s also possible to request an extension if more time is needed to pay back taxes.

What can I do to avoid an audit in the future?

There are several ways to reduce the risk of the IRS auditing your business. First, make sure your tax return is accurate and filed on time. Even if you cannot afford to fulfill your tax obligation, it’s essential to file anyway, or file an extension to avoid fees and penalties later. Respond right away if the IRS reaches out to discuss aspects of your tax return. Failure to cooperate with the IRS can make matters worse and almost certainly result in a more detailed office or field audit. For optimal peace of mind, find a professional CPA who specializes in the audit process to represent you and ensure the completion of all details.

The post Frequently Asked Questions About IRS Business Audits first appeared on Go to top

Introduce Yourself (Example Post)

This is an example post, originally published as part of Blogging University. Enroll in one of our ten programs, and start your blog right.

You’re going to publish a post today. Don’t worry about how your blog looks. Don’t worry if you haven’t given it a name yet, or you’re feeling overwhelmed. Just click the “New Post” button, and tell us why you’re here.

Why do this?

  • Because it gives new readers context. What are you about? Why should they read your blog?
  • Because it will help you focus your own ideas about your blog and what you’d like to do with it.

The post can be short or long, a personal intro to your life or a bloggy mission statement, a manifesto for the future or a simple outline of your the types of things you hope to publish.

To help you get started, here are a few questions:

  • Why are you blogging publicly, rather than keeping a personal journal?
  • What topics do you think you’ll write about?
  • Who would you love to connect with via your blog?
  • If you blog successfully throughout the next year, what would you hope to have accomplished?

You’re not locked into any of this; one of the wonderful things about blogs is how they constantly evolve as we learn, grow, and interact with one another — but it’s good to know where and why you started, and articulating your goals may just give you a few other post ideas.

Can’t think how to get started? Just write the first thing that pops into your head. Anne Lamott, author of a book on writing we love, says that you need to give yourself permission to write a “crappy first draft”. Anne makes a great point — just start writing, and worry about editing it later.

When you’re ready to publish, give your post three to five tags that describe your blog’s focus — writing, photography, fiction, parenting, food, cars, movies, sports, whatever. These tags will help others who care about your topics find you in the Reader. Make sure one of the tags is “zerotohero,” so other new bloggers can find you, too.

Go to top

Why You May Not Want a Big Tax Refund

Once done with the hectic process of filing taxes, most taxpayers eagerly await refund checks from the IRS. Although it feels like bonus earnings that you can put to other uses, that’s not the case. The main reason for tax refunds is the cautious overpayment you might make due to fear of tax penalties.

Why a Big Tax Refund Isn’t Always a Good Thing

If you receive a large refund, it means you gave more money to the government than was necessary. These are funds you would have put to better use. The majority of Americans are servicing student loans, credit cards, mortgages, and other debts. Only a few can manage at least $1000 in emergency savings.

Your debt management would improve if you could receive the extra cash regularly instead of the IRS sitting on it for months. A sizable tax refund is also an indicator of inaccurate bookkeeping and accounting practices. By reviewing your refund history, you can identify the reasons for perennially overpaying and adjust your W-2 form accordingly.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) slightly reduced the average refund and implemented changes to the IRS’s withholding tables.

Why You Should Stop Focusing On Big Tax Refunds

Overpaying your tax means you’ll fail to maximize other prospects such as:

  • Retirement funds: Higher traditional or Roth IRA contributions guarantee a more comfortable lifestyle after retirement.
  • College fund: A 529 plan helps you manage higher education costs.
  • Stock market: This investment option offers decent long-term returns compared to standard savings accounts.
  • Career boost: You can improve your career prospects by acquiring an in-demand skill such as coding.
  • Home improvement: Although some green home improvements have high initial costs, they result in significant overall savings.

The IRS offers a tax withholding estimator to help you calculate your liability. It ensures you pay an adequate amount without handing over too much to the government.

How to Adjust Tax Withholding

Dividing your latest tax refund by 12 gives you an understanding of how much you overpaid per month. One way of reducing this amount is by filing Form W-4 with your employer. This process helps you accurately identify the exemptions that you can claim. Examples are mortgage interest and expenses on investments. Major life events such as marriage, divorce, and more dependents also affect your refund dynamics. While most people don’t bother with these details, it makes sense to analyze any changes in your life for tax purposes.

Tax planning strategies are also vital for ensuring your refunds are as close to zero as possible. The ever-changing tax code creates such opportunities every year. For employees, withholding strategies include bunching deductions and making the highest contributions to retirement funds. Insurance and retirement plans are also valuable tools if you’re self-employed. 

Always Talk to a Professional

Expert financial advice doesn’t just reduce your withholding tax. It also helps you make the most of tax refunds. Skilled CPAs, enrolled agents, and tax attorneys are the most qualified professionals in that regard. They’ll offer you crucial tips about accurate accounting, tax preparation, and debt settlement.

The post Why You May Not Want a Big Tax Refund first appeared on Go to top

Does Your Business Need a Part-Time CFO?

Hiring a part-time CFO can help guide your business along a path for future financial success. An experienced CFO knows how to maximize the potential of companies across all industries, no matter the size. Partnering with a professional is an affordable way to bring on C-level talent, equipping your business with the knowledge and resources it needs to thrive in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

What Can a Part-Time CFO Do?

An interim professional CPA can help you navigate the many challenges of running a business. With the support of a part-time CFO, you will make more informed financial decisions to drive the continued growth of your business. Services they provide may include:

  • Securing Capital: A part-time CFO will help with fundraising to help your business acquire the resources it needs to grow. Fractional CFOs connect their clients with interested investors who are equally determined to see your business thrive.
  • Strategic Financial Planning: Businesses rely on part-time CFOs to create comprehensive and effective financial planning strategies. Bringing on an outsourced professional will ensure your business remains on track to meet your goals.
  • Mitigating Risk: Your business can avoid tax pitfalls or risky financial moves by hiring a part-time CFO for honest, unbiased advice. An experienced professional will steer you away from potentially unfavorable investment decisions and hedge against all possible contingencies.
  • Managing Cash Flow: A part-time CFO will monitor payroll, income, and expense reports throughout to year with careful attention to detail. Fractional CFOs know how to identify potential cash flow problems before they impact your business. They will also find ways to ensure cash on hand matches up with projections.
  • Financial Analysis: Gain a fresh perspective on the performance of your business by hiring a part-time CFO to evaluate financial metrics and trends. An outsourced professional can identify patterns or errors in the data that could ultimately save you money.

When is it Time to Hire a Part-Time CFO?

If certain complications with cash flow, assets, or taxes slow down your company’s momentum, it could be time to consider hiring a CFO for part-time support. The overarching responsibility of an outsourced CFO is to ensure the continued success of your business. A part-time CFO offers insightful guidance for overcoming a variety of financial challenges, including:

  • Preparing for audits
  • Meeting financial benchmarks
  • Building comprehensive financial reports
  • Acquiring capital for new business development
  • Developing long-term resolutions to financial obstacles
  • Discovering new ways to cut costs and maximize income

Reach your Goals with a Part-Time CFO

Hiring a part-time professional gives you the benefits of having a Chief Financial Officer without the high cost of a permanent in-house department. Partnering with an outsourced CFO ensures you receive assistance with the services you need when you need them. CFOs and other financial professionals can offer additional tools or ideas to meet your business objectives. Consider a part-time CFO for complete support managing all aspects of your company’s financial arrangements.

The post Does Your Business Need a Part-Time CFO? first appeared on Go to top

Copyright © 2021   All materials contained in this document are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. All other trade names, trademarks, registeredtrademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.

I take care of your books for you, so you can get back to the job of running your business and generating profits.
I offer payroll solutions that meet your business's needs and enable you to spend time doing what you do best--running your company.
Learn More...
I offer a variety of services to help make sure that you are taking full advantage of Quickbooks' many features.
Learn more...

google logoReview us on Google

© Dross & Cross Bookkeeping Services 2021